Thursday, June 11, 2015

Contrast, Balance, and Harmony



Over the years i've found a niche I love to do when exploring a city, state, or unknown area and that's look at the buildings and architecture associated with the place. However, I am not a photographer and cannot capture what I plan in my head, so i've often turned to the next best thing- Pinterest. I often explore the world of architecture and life through the lens of Pinterest, inspiring me not only to seek these places, but also finding out what images and places bring me "peace". This is one of those images. 

This image is very inviting to me, the camera angle makes it appear that i'm going to burst out of the window almost, calling me for the adventure that's ahead (I also have a niche for the ocean). When analyzing it with the elements of contrast the colors in this image or not only inviting, but also have a soft feel to them. This could be why this image is also so peaceful to me, with lighter shades of blue, grey, green, and off shades of white this image fills the space up with it's inviting message to wonder (or at least to me). 

This image is perfectly balanced when it comes to the rule of thirds in photography, but it's also balanced with its aroma of peace. It makes me want to stare out of the window and let the sea take me where I need to be. As explained in class, balance is easily identified but most of the time we don't know why. For me it's probably the nature of the picture, if I could be anywhere it would be near the ocean, I associate good things, thoughts, and experiences with the ocean. That could be a major factor why it's so balanced to me, it brings back my balance in life. 

Leading into the last element -harmony. Likewise with balance; harmony also gives me that sense of peace that I associate the ocean with. When looking at this picture I can hear the harmonic sounds of the ocean, and how everything falls into place, it's the icing on the cake. From the highlights and colors of the picture, to how it's shaped because of the angle of  the camera, it all comes together as this harmonic form that I desperately want to run away too. 

1 comment:

  1. This picture is beautifully I completely agree with your analysis of its harmony. I feel like I could just walk out onto the beach.

    ReplyDelete