Thursday, June 4, 2015

Visceral Response

 

 One of the most jaw-dropping pieces of architecture was eye length away from me, and after fourteen hours on a non-stop flight from LAX,you can bet it was the most beautiful thing to be seen. Maybe it was the Foster the People album in my ear that made the first time I saw this landmark so intriguing, or maybe because it was the symbol of new beginnings for me that literally made me cry, I had made it. 

Seeing this remarkable piece of architecture, is not only a landmark for Australia, but for me as well. As it represented what I was there for, to start over. The building stands solo on it's own piece of land with gateways, bridges, and walkways to the entrances to the building. Each individual semicircle that  dominates from the side of the building shoots into the air, the symbol to me of realizing the sky is the limit. Off-set by the Sydney Harbor Bridge I've never seen anything so perfectly balanced and harmonic to this day. It aligns with the cityscape, even though it's one of the smallest buildings in the area, when seen from my balcony view in Mosmon, it lined up with the bridge and Sydney's tallest skyscraper; Center-point Tower. It was perfectly balanced and symmetrical in it's alignment alone.  

The colors and contrast of the building are almost indescribable, as when day shifted to night the Opera House would give a purple glow, much like the one pictured. As if it took in the harbor colors and sucked it in and shot them out again, often times I would see reflections of pinks,purples,oranges, and a hint of yellow. The shape of the Opera House would help with the "glow" that was often projected, and yet when viewed from the front of the building a who new image was projected, huge windows lined top to bottom giving a crystal clear reflection. It amazed me that such intensity from all elements of design could be felt from so far, yet when close to it, or even inside it, a whole new feeling of beauty is projected.  

Inside the building was a total 180 from what is projected inside, both images however are breathtaking. The night I was able to see an actual opera inside the Opera House I was in "aw" the whole night. The theaters inside that building alone are perfectly structured so that no matter where one sat, you had a perfect view of the stage. Another thing I noticed was how much "love" was in that building, as many couples gathered for the show, affection, greetings, and friendly gestures were everywhere. I also attach love to the Opera House as well, as it's the most romantic place I've been in the world.  

Although I attach more emotion to this piece of art than anything else, the design element of this structure is truly breathtaking, not only is it balanced in it's nature, but the fact that it takes it surrounding color elements and reflects them is phenomenal. It's a landmark in history, as well as my heart -as cheesy and gross as that sounds. I plan to return to the place that gave me such hope and renewal, as a boost to what i'm already accomplishing-and plan to accomplish in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment